Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default Rural broadband speeds

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Peter Scott wrote:
Now this really is getting off-topic but I want to answer some of the
points raised. The county where I live subsidises cities. I am not
making that up, it is a fact. I pay the same taxes as anyone else but
the amount of tax-payers money spent per head in the cities is much
higher than in the country. That's why, though I pay very similar
council tax rates, I get much poorer services like roads, policing and
education spending. Central government support is much lower.

Well if you want to go that route, as a single non married childless
person for years, I subsidised the rest of the population.

So what?

Cities alos benefit you, by making the countryside a nicer place to live
in.

Don't quite follow the last point. I don't see how I benefit from
cities. Did you mean by not having lots of houses?

I entirely agree about subsidies however. There are all kinds of them,
including, I hope, one for the cost of providing better broadband in the
country. I was attempting to point out that rural areas subsidise the
cities, and would like a bit back.

To pick up the child point, without people willing to devote time and
money to bringing up children there would not be the future earners to
pay for the care of older people. Even if an older person is entirely
self-sufficient on investments, there has to be a thriving economy to
keep up the value of those investments, and this relies on young
generations.

Peter