Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Amps and Heads ...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
A few weeks ago, I was looking for a schematic for a PA amp, and called it
a "head" on here. I got told that it wasn't a head, because it had a preamp
in it, and a head has only line level inputs.

I have never heard that definition of "head" before. Your understanding of
the term has been unwaveringly mine for as long as I can remember.
A head is a stand alone box with knobs on, doesn't matter whats inside.

That does remind me of a funny phone call I once had from a customer
enquiring about his repair. I was living in Glasgow, and this guy had a
very strong Scottish Accent. He asked whether "Ma'ampheed" was ready. I
had no idea what a Ma'ampheed was so asked him to repeat it. Again,
Ma'ampheed. I asked him to repeat it again. After the third time it was
just getting embarrasing, I had no idea what he was talking about and had to
tell him so. Eventually he had to spell it out in his best English accent,
which was of course "My amp head".

Gareth.

Today, I was looking on the site where I get all my Marshall info -

http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm#M2000

- for schematics for a 2195, which is a guitar amplifier with a preamp in
it. Interestingly, that site calls this amplifier - and indeed anything
that is not a "combo" - a head ...

So now I won't feel so wrong continuing to call these amps heads, as the
muso who owns the shop where I get most of this work from does too, and
has for as many long years as I have known him.

Arfa