Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Cross Pete Cross is offline

Default Server room rack power

Tim S wrote:
Andy Burns coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'd be tempted to split the load across multiple 16A outlets, to
reduce the total inrush current per circuit, also switch to type-C
MCBs.

Agree. At Imperial College, we had this problem - had to go to type-D
breakers in some cases, but the design considerations for putting
type D in are onerous (eg you need a *very* low L-E impedance back to
the supply: fortunately the 11kV transformers were round the back of
the building and the College has a resident Electrical Engineer to
worry about these things).

Alternatively consider intelligent power distribution strips which
can sequence the servers back on after any power cut, and have the
advantage you can remotely power them off/on if required.

APC masterswitches were good at this, and allowed for remote power
switching via RS232 and ethernet. Think that range has been
superceded, but it's likely APC still make something similar.

Cheers

Tim

I'm assuming the ups's keep the pc's running and the breaker supplies the
ups's ?

Therefore isn't it more likely the ups's overloading the circuit when the
power is returned ? they can have quite hefty startup currents, especially
if the batteries are already under load and discharging rapidly.

Pete