Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default Rural broadband speeds

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:10:14 -0000
"TMC" wrote:

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...

snip
"I think that anyone who gets regularly poor speeds should get a refund of
subscription in the same way that railway companies have to compensate
lateness. Even better, they should get a much lower rate to start to start
with. You really do have to do something and this is one simple and
effective tactic. If it meant that ISPs refused to accept rural
connections then the situation would be out in the open!"

Peter Scott

This is one of the consequences of choosing to live in a rural area

I suppose that you would also want the same level of mobile phone coverage,
bus services, and shopping facilities, as urban areas do

Would you give up the lack of congestion, lower crime rates, lower car
insurance premiums, cleaner air and the other benefits of a rural
environment to get your higher broadband speed

You pays your money and you takes your choice

And yes it is off topic and should have been posted as such

Tony

The point is that even if we wished to pay more to get the same service
as the poor townies, granting that the costs are higher, we can't 'cos
the infrastructure can't support it.

As for Mobile Phones, I for one, am really pleased that they don't work
here. My brother sends me texts, and once a fortnight or so, I get
into a region when I can receive them.

As it happens, I'm in rural Cumbria, and get 4500kps on my broadband
even though I'm 6 Km from the exchange. So I'm happy, but I
sympathise with Peter as until late last year my max was 1700kps -
Buttocks Telecom then improved the lines for unrelated reasons.

And it's not Off Topic, as I do my own telecoms wiring - which is a
major contributor to my fantastic broadband speed!

R.