Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Washer Standpipe Backup/Solution?

On Jan 7, 1:20*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jan 7, 12:28*pm, SMcK wrote:

Thanks one and all. *This is all very useful.

I had also planned on extending the height of the standpipe by a foot
or two (there is a shelf above which limts how high I can go) but I
stopped when I thought the current fix might be sufficient. *My plan
is to get a piece of PVC the same diameter as the (metal) standpipe,
put rubber gasket material, and perhaps harder plastic or aluminum or
something around them above and below the joint, and hold the upper
and lower pieces in place with hose clamps. *Sound reasonable?

-Scott

I would solder on another piece of pipe but something like this would
dohttp://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-Copper-Pipe-Adapters

A clamp or bracket near the top stabalizing the pipe is also a good
idea.

Have you ever seen how drainpipe is put together in commercial
buildings? It isn't soldered. Widely used are "no-hub" connections
or simple bell and tube joints.

As long as the flow is gravity only and not pressurized, you neither
need nor want a super tight connection.

Why do you want the standpipe higher? The obvious reason is that
making the washer pump higher against gravity will reduce your volume
of flow. But a foot isn't going to do you as much good as a smaller
diameter hose will.

I think what I would do in this case is remove the washer drain hose
from the fitting, and attach a smaller diameter hose right there. Or,
cut your hose right in the middle and install a valve so you can
reduce the flow. If the standpipe can't handle what your washer puts
into it, then reduce what your washer output is. Yeah, better to
increase what your standpoint can handle, but you don't want to spend
the money.