Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Jimw Jimw is offline

Default Rate your DTV converter

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 18:33:09 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
rs.com...
On 1/7/2009 1:16 PM Jimw spake thus:

Please post which converter yoiu have and rate it. Are yoiu
satisfied, or dissatisfied? What are it's pros and cons? And in
particular, how well does it perform in a fringe area?

Zenith DTT901. Satisfied; I give it a 7 out of 10.

That is the one I picked up to play with. I am a ways off from the stations
and I hooked it up to a ham antenna that is made for 145 Mhz. that is only
up about 20 feet. Picked up 22 stations in the auto tune mode. A much
higher antenna at 60 feet gave me 29 stations. The antennas are not even
made for regular TV reception. I won't talk about the quality as I only had
it hooked up to an old 16 inch TV. Think it was about $ 60 at Circuit City
before the $ 40 discount card.

I'm surprised it worked at all on a ham antenna. I know the
wavelength affects the reception, and a half wave antenna is half the
length, etc. What is the actual frequency band for DTV, and how does
that compare to the 145Mhz ?

By the way, are there any decent antenna amplifiers for DTV, or does a
person just use the standard UHF VHF amps they always sold? I know I
can not raise my antenna any more or the mast will bend in high winds,
and towers are way beyond my budget.

Thanks

Jim