Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Ann Ann is offline

Default Rate your DTV converter

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 18:33:09 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 1/7/2009 1:16 PM Jimw spake thus:

Please post which converter yoiu have and rate it. Are yoiu satisfied,
or dissatisfied? What are it's pros and cons? And in particular, how
well does it perform in a fringe area?

Zenith DTT901. Satisfied; I give it a 7 out of 10.

That is the one I picked up to play with. I am a ways off from the
stations and I hooked it up to a ham antenna that is made for 145 Mhz.
that is only up about 20 feet. Picked up 22 stations in the auto tune
mode. A much higher antenna at 60 feet gave me 29 stations. The antennas
are not even made for regular TV reception. I won't talk about the
quality as I only had it hooked up to an old 16 inch TV. Think it was
about $ 60 at Circuit City before the $ 40 discount card.

Yet another 901. The consensus on various forums was that 900 (without
the analog pass trough) was the best of the boxes available at stores
within ~25 miles. Since I wanted the pass trough, I waited until the 901
was released to order coupons (mid-summer). Of course the 901s
immediately went out of stock. But did eventually get one, then another.

The 901 gets the one local station (25 miles) that's currently on-air with
digital fine. And, one that's about 75 miles away occasionally. No joy
with the other three stations 75 miles away. I do expect to get the other
local station when it goes digital 2/17 (or whenever they get their act
together).

Imo, fringe reception probably has more to do with location and antenna
than with the converter box. Incidentally, according to antennaweb.org,
there is no TV reception at my location.