Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
ransley ransley is offline

Default Rate your DTV converter

On Jan 7, 3:16*pm, Jimw wrote:
When I got my coupons, it was near impossible to even find a DTV
converter in the stores. *I finally had to drive a long distance to
buy and Apex converter which was the only one available, and I only
had 2 days left before my coupons expired. *I was not impressed by
this converter, at least as far as reception in my rural area. *Of
course I live in a fringe area, and I can not get much for stations.
The nearest station is 50 miles, and it gets further for others. *I
use a fairly decent rooftop antenna, which is about 24feet from the
ground, and I have a rotor.

What I was getting was one channel (from 50 miles) that worked on and
off, and would fade in and out, and some days did not come in at all.
The only channel that worked all the time was one of the PBS channels
(and their secondary channels). *Note: On analog, I get 5 channels
well, and 3 more that are fair to poor.

A elderly relative lives in a large city, and I took my Apex converter
over there and hooked it up. *She was satisfied with it, and she needs
something real simple, being elderly. *So, I told her to keep that
one, and give me her coupon. *Now I want to buy one that will work in
my fringe rural area, and there are piles of them in the stores. *I'm
trying to determine which one to get. *My biggest concern is getting
one that will get the best reception in a fringe area. *

Please post which converter yoiu have and rate it. *Are yoiu
satisfied, or dissatisfied? *What are it's pros and cons? *And in
particular, how well does it perform in a fringe area?

Thanks

Jim

Nobody here can rate them for you, nobody has all the units, Google
the ratings, Consumers Reports is posted through google somebody set
up a free link, they tested maybe 20. A few other companies that sell
many different units did their own ratings. What I know is the good
ones are mail order only, they are at no stores. I dont have the name
handy but one model stands out by several ratings, google for the
ratings. I am buying 2 online so I will google ratings again.