Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Can't we all just get along?

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 00:53:26 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 07:34:20 -0600, Ignoramus6829

On 2009-01-06, Wes wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

Sitting in a subdued bar, full of drunks with guns, does not sound
like my idea of fun.

Drunks and guns should not go together.

Right. It is illegal in MN to carry when intoxicated.

Same in Michigan, I do support a few restrictions on the Second
Amendment, carrying in bars is one of them. However, if you want to
go to the bar, your weapon cased and unloaded stored in the trunk of
your car is an acceptable mode of transport unless they changed the
rules since I last read them.

A side note, but I always wondered how this rule applies to pickup
trucks, that do not have a lockable trunk.

That is not clear in MN. General opinion and guidance from cops I've
asked is that it's not a problem if the weapons are in cases, but a
cop with an attitude could definitely spoil your day. It's a good
reason for having a CCW permit if one goes to the range and back in a
pickup. The permit makes things much simpler.

CORRECTION. I just checked the law. What I was told by the CCW
instructor was WRONG. I specifically asked about trucks at the time.
The law in MN is:

97B.045 Transportation of firearms.

Subdivision 1. Restrictions. A person may not transport a firearm in a
motor vehicle unless the firearm is: (1) unloaded and in a gun case
expressly made to contain a firearm and the case fully encloses the
firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened,
and without any portion of the firearm exposed; (2)unloaded and in the
closed trunk of the motor vehicle; or (3) a handgun carried in
compliance with sections 624.714 and 624.715.
---
So, if it's unloaded and in a zipped pistol rug, it's legal in the cab
of a pickup. Permit holders are exempt from these requirements.