Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Can't we all just get along?

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 03:20:45 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:09:46 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

And that polite conversation ended when gentlemen quit carrying
sidearms.

I didn't realize you were that old. That was about the time they quit
wearing top hats, too, wasn't it? d8-)

I've known a lot of people who carry sidearms, but none of them would
qualify as a gentleman.

If you occasionally consort with gentlemen, you very probably have
consorted with armed gentlemen. An armed gentleman has no need,
desire or intent to make you aware that he's armed.

That's the kind of willful thinking we see from outfits like the Brady
Bunch, Don. Most of this social gun theory is so much hot air, on both
sides.

It isn't willful or wishful thinking nor a theory, it's merely my
personal experience. YMMV, depending on the company you keep.

I know several gentlemen who have carry permits, don't know if they
carry routinely or not. You and others on this NG may recall the
name Fitch Williams. I do know that Fitch carries routinely and that
he is an exemplary gentleman.

I don't doubt it. But anecdotes do not make a case.

Of course it's an anecdote. I don't represent otherwise, and I'm not
trying to make a case. Are you?

Your statement, "I've known a lot of people..." isn't anecdotal?