Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Suitable Timber

Matty F wrote:
On Jan 8, 4:19 am, "Janice" wrote:
I am going to make some raised beds in my garden to grow vegetables as the
present soil is heavy clay. I already had a small raised bed made from 2ft
by 6in edging slabs and the difference in yeild was startling. I imagine
lengths 8in by 2in timber would be ok so what would be the best and
prefeably cheap timber to use? And what should it be treated with?

I'd avoid treated timber unless you think the copper, chromium, and
arsenic oxides will improve your lettuces and your health!
I'm using plastic bins. Concrete or bricks or untreated hardwood
railway sleepers could be considered.

If all the treatment washed out at the first rains, it wouldn't be much
of a treatment would it?

With raised beds largely it will go straight down the walls anyway. Not
percolate into the bed.

Oh, and plants are pretty good at dealing with metal salts, many of
which they actually NEED for growth.

Don't potatoes MAKE arsenic all by themselves?