Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Amps and Heads ...

Arfa Daily wrote:
A few weeks ago, I was looking for a schematic for a PA amp, and called it a
"head" on here. I got told that it wasn't a head, because it had a preamp in
it, and a head has only line level inputs.

Today, I was looking on the site where I get all my Marshall info -

http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm#M2000

- for schematics for a 2195, which is a guitar amplifier with a preamp in
it. Interestingly, that site calls this amplifier - and indeed anything that
is not a "combo" - a head ...

So now I won't feel so wrong continuing to call these amps heads, as the
muso who owns the shop where I get most of this work from does too, and has
for as many long years as I have known him.

Arfa

Okay...to pop in with the Colonial perspective: a PA 'head' I would
imagine as box, shaped like a guitar amp 'head', with several input
channels and a power amp...usually low-end stuff. Preamps would be
required for this, of course. Anything without would just be an 'amp'
(no 'head', at least IME).

I'd call any guitar amp, that didn't include speakers, a head. Any with
speakers would properly be termed a combo, as you said.

jak