Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Compatibility of implanted cardio defib with MIG and TIG

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:21:13 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

A Google of "tig welding and pacemakers" brings up a lot of things. A lot
of guys say they weld with pacemakers and no ill effects. Thing is,
pacemakers like hearing aids are being changed and improved all the time.
So, all statements are not an across the board thing. What works for one
person may not for another. And some may be more delicate and sensitive
than others. And everyone doesn't have the same problem or body.

Check with the doctor, Don.

Steve

I shall talk to the Dr. on Friday ... but I suspect that he'll know
about as much about electrical engineering and welding as I know about
cardiology. The docs I've had the good fortune to work with have not
been particularly legally gunshy, tending to say what they know and
what they think fairly openly.

The article from the JACC (Journal of the Americal College of
Cardiology) was most illuminating in that it cited quantitative data
-- millivolts, amperes, flux density (in gauss rather than Tesla, well
they are cardiologists). Current levels cited there 900A) are
considerably higher than any I ever employ.

Anecdotal reports are that it's not usually a problem and if it is a
problem it won't fry the device or its user: advice is if you feel
light-headed or wierd, just stop welding.

Medtronic HQ is right here in Fridley, if I could figure out a way to
talk to an engineer there. All the guys I knew that worked there are
retired now.