Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default having main fuse upgraded

In article ,
The Wanderer writes:
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 03:55:14 -0800 (PST), sm_jamieson wrote:

Balfour Beatty are coming on jan 14th to upgrade my house main
electricity fuse (to 100A). No fee is involved. I've been told they
cannot work live, and so will have to dig a hole in the pavement (I
assume this is to disconnect something). But surely there is no magic
switch under the pavement ?
Anyone know what they will actually do ?

At a guess, you have an old metal-clad bitmen-filled cutout. Strictly
speaking, the main fuse is part of this assembly, but people tend to refer
to the whole thing as 'the main fuse'.

They'll dig down to the service cable, make a temporary cut, change the
termination on the end of the cable and then put a straight joint onto the

And how to they aviod doing that live ;-)

cable. Time you're actually off, about an hour, give or take.

--
Andrew Gabriel