Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Default Suitable Timber

"TMC" wrote in message

"Janice" wrote in message
I am going to make some raised beds in my garden to grow vegetables as the
present soil is heavy clay. I already had a small raised bed made from 2ft
by 6in edging slabs and the difference in yeild was startling. I imagine
lengths 8in by 2in timber would be ok so what would be the best and
prefeably cheap timber to use? And what should it be treated with?

Jan
I used some 7'' x 2'' treated joists and 4'' galvanised nails

After a few years there is some minor rotting on some of the inside faces

They are so cheap I will just replace them when they get too bad

I suspect that this will not be for some years yet

Tony
I also have a plan that if ever I need something more permanent I would use
bits of slotted concrete fence posts set in the ground and concrete gravel
boards but have not even bothered to cost this as the timber was so easy to
do

Tony