Posted to alt.home.repair
SixGun SixGun is offline

Default GE Hotpoint range fire hazard: it happened to us

SixGun had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...-us-24974-.htm
:

-------------------------------------
Hell Toupee wrote:

Good Music wrote:

Has anyone else had or heard of anyone having problems with GE /
Hotpoint
ranges that get some kind of short in the broiler which causes it
suddenly light up as bright as the sun and start sparking &
flaming, like a
road flare, right at the electrical connection on one end at the
back wall
of the oven? And when you turn the oven control knob
"off", and the
electric "power" light goes off, but the broiler stays
energized and you
can't turn it off?

We had this happen today. It happened all of a sudden. We had
the oven
(not the broiler) turned on on our GE / Hotpoint MODEL#: RB757
range (7
years old).

There's a recall on it:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml04/04576.html

Wow just read this and yes this happened to us on New Year's Day 2009.
The oven was turned on to keep warm some french toast and the element
sparked and popped and starting burning like a magnesium flare. Turned
off the oven with no effect element continued to burn like the sun.
Poured baking soda on it with little effect. Used a fire extingusiher
made for kitchen use and that finally extinguished it. Called fire dept
to be sure it was really out they used a thermal imager to be sure there
were no hot spots. The fireman had never seen this before. Bad way to
start the New Year, but grateful it wasn't any worse. The public needs to
be made aware of this potentially fatal flaw in this appliance. As for
the New Year we just bought a Frigidaire Electric Range and pray this
won't happen again to us or any one else. Tom & Laurie