Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Best bench setup for hand sharpening drill bits

On 2009-01-05, wrote:
I have picked up 2 of those General drill bit jigs that mount next to
a bench grinder, I need to know
the best setup for sharpening my own bits. Ive got plenty of area,
several motors, arbors and
many different grit wheels. I read the drill doctor uses diamond
wheels, would this be better

No -- it would not -- unless you are working *purely* with
carbide drill bits. Hot diamond combines with the steel to make a
harder steel, and dull the diamonds.

or if
not then what size grit and speed would be best? Ive even thought of
using one on a course wheel then one mounted on a fine grit & I could
even mount the motor/wheel flat like a turntable
and grind on the wheel face instead of the side.
Anyway I would like to know the best setup sense I will be starting
from scrach & change speed
wheel type & grit, angle ect.

Well ... what *I* like is no longer made. Dumore made a drill
sharpener sort of like the General turned on its side, with a built in
motor and a two grit compound stone -- a narrow part for the tiny bits
and a coarser one for the larger bits. (The thing would handle bits
from #70 up through 1/4" -- but no larger than that.

The bits were held in a special drill chuck, with a collet for
each size to steady it near the tip, aligned using a mirror and a
magnifying glass to have the flute edge orientation correct, and then
the grinding was done with a lever to slide the bit over from the mirror
to the wheel, and then you press down on a thumb lever to grind one
flute, then rotate the chuck 180 degrees (built to stop at the right
point) to grind the other flute.

I *would* like it to be able to grind split points, but it
can't, and neither can the General.

The Drill Doctor can -- only for the larger bits. Smaller ones
tend to come out as disasters unless you just go for the standard
point. :-)

Good Luck,
Don.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |