Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Door swelled from moisture won't close

On Jan 5, 6:56*pm, BoscoXavier wrote:
I have an exterior door which is wood (with a glass window in the
middle). It was unstained wood when it was installed so I stained it
with a stain/waterproofing product. I think, unfortunately, I forgot
to stain the bottom of the door.

Over the last couple weeks it has gotten harder and harder to open.
Now it won't close. I checked the hinges and they're all still tight.
I can see the marks from the door jam on the door where its rubbing.
Should I use my electric sander or planer and sand down those places
until it closes? Then should I stain and waterproof (or laquer it) or
will that trap the moisture inside? Also, if I sand it down, won't it
shrink back to normal size in the summer, leaving me with gaps? I
assume the reason for the swelling of the door is the rain we've
received in San Francisco in the last few weeks.

Thanks!

Might be a real cheap door badly installed. IMO, things like these are
perpetual problems. You will surely futz with it for months, maybe
years, and finally in exasperation, have it done over to a higher
standard. If you don't have the patience to tolerate the problem, have
it corrected now. Install a fiberglass door that won't be affected by
the climate, takes a decent finish and then go on to other things.Good
luck.

Joe