Posted to alt.home.repair
coloradotrout coloradotrout is offline

Default shimming door hinge

This does not seem right to me -- but it did resolve my issue.

I have an exterior door that the door used to be 'cocked' a bit in the
frame such that the weather seal did not seal well all around the
door. There was a gap along the bottom of the latch side. The botton
latch side of the door needed to be lifted about 1/8" to make the door
fit better into the frame. I added a shim to the bottom hinge --
pushig the hinge out about 1/8". It's a nice fit all around now.

I did some checks to see that the frame was perpendicular and it
checked out ok (plumb bob). I did not chech to see that the top of
frame was square to the sides nor that the bottom was square to sides,
but visually, the door was just not "square" inside the frame. The
bottom hinge side ( the hinge I shimmed) fit snug to the frame, while
the top hinge side was 3/16" open.

To me, it seemed that the hinges were allowing slightly more or less
of an opening between the door and the frame - almost like the hinges
were not the same.

This is a Jeld-Wen exterior door.