Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default TV Speaker Recommendtaion

"Ron" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 10:09 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 01/05/09 07:43 pm Ron wrote:

On Jan 4, 4:21 pm, Tony wrote:
nospamplse wrote:
I purchased a Samsung HDTV (model LN46A540) and am looking for
recommendations for:
- External speakers, and
- Wireless Headphones
I am not interested in a massive "home theater" but just better audio
performance than that available from the TV. I'm guessing a three
speaker system. Anyone have suggestions as to type of system, brand
suggestions or brand to avoid?
Thanks
Hmm,
First I'd add amplified sub woofer with cross over adjustment.
You hook it onto a left channel audio output jack and see if that is
enough for you. Any good brand speakers like Polk, KEF, Infinity,
Bose,
B&W, Altec Lansing, Boston Acoustics, etc. Hope TV audio amp has at
least 10W power for decent external speaker volume. And try to match
speaker impedance.(4 Ohm, 8 Ohm, etc.)

Bose is overpriced JUNK!

Never owned any Bose myself, but I read a suggestion that the name is an
a acronym for

Buy
Other
Sound (Stereo)
Equipment

Perce

Long ago and far away, Bose was a decent brand. But like many or most of
the 'quality' brand names we remember from our youth, the brand name got
sold off, and is now placed on (high end) pacific rim products. I about
sobbed when I saw 'Advent' on cheap generic televisions at Wally World a
few years ago.

--
aem sends...

They were never a decent brand. Bose is the only speaker company that
I've ever seen that doesn't publish ANY specs for their speakers.

Not even their top on the line 901's!

Bose is a marketing machine, nothing more.

BTW, I had a friend that had a pair of 901's in the early 80's, and in
a side by side comparison with my Klipsch Heresys, my Klipsch easily
blew the 901's away.

reply:

I have a Sony that I like. One of the top of the line models. I also have
a Panasonic that is purely wimpy. You get what you pay for unless you slide
into the overpriced Bose and other high end stuff.

I installed the Home stereo display at the Alexis Hotel in Las Vegas during
Consumer Electronics Show years ago. 140 rooms of HIGH end stereo
equipment. Digital CD, some vinyl players. They had TUBE type amplifyers
and speaker systems that ran $300,000. I asked the salesman what made them
worth that, and he said nothing, but rich people would pay that much.

Steve