Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default What stops the water?

You can try the Schluter water proofing method under the tiles, but if you
have that much water maybe you should slope the floor down to a drain and
add a "dam" across the door threshold to keep the water in.

wrote in message
In a typical bathroom floor tile installation you have the following
sequence:

Plywood subfloor, Thin-Set, Backerboard, Thin-Set, Tile/Grout.

If the grout is not perfectly sealed and the bathroom is heavily used
(with a lot of water on the floor), where does the water stop? I know
Backerboard is water-damage-resistant, but I hear it can wick and
absorb water. What are we relying on to keep the water from soaking
the plywood? Is it just the thin-set?