Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
matthew maguire[_2_] matthew maguire[_2_] is offline

Default need some Valenite help

Bill Noble wrote:
I bought some Valenite indexable holders, specifically these:
which look like they hold the diamond shaped carbides - I figured I could
put them in an Aloris type BXA-1 holder - but I am wondering how they really
are intended to be used - I've spent way too much time looking around the
Valenite on-line catalogs without finding these things - with any luck
someone on the NG will know exactly how they are used and what I should use
to find them in the Valenite catalogs. Of course if that doesn't work I can
contact Valenite, but I hate to bug "real" companies with a triviality like
this when we can all sit around and chat about it here.

if you don't want to look at the ebay link, the little things are marked:

MSKNR-10CA-3 the R of course means right handed, I was able to decode some
of the rest of the part number, but it isnt' at all obvious why they have
the little special set screw in the back nor the oval hole in the middle.
Do these go on boring bars? a special "mother" holder? or what?/?/?

Hi Bill,

These are cartridge type insert holders used in purpose built tooling
using standard inserts. A long oval slot with an adjustment screw on the
bottom (and sometimes setscrews X-Y through the body) allow for large
adjustments in a seat. Most often used with large (toolroom made) face
mills, fly cutters, large single and opposed cut boring heads and
sometimes slot millers.

The cartridge seats in a nest (slot) and is adjusted for dia with the
small fine thread screw on the bottom. The oval slot is used to lock the
cartridge down.

For lathe use (I've never seen it done) the cartridge is smaller and is
intended to be locked into a hardened seat, the oval slot is shorter and
the cartridge may, or may not, have a bottom adjustment.

When you make you own tool holders then special "lead angles" are built
into the tooling. Also with very large tools, if there is a "crash" you
don't lose your hog, dog and frog...

Matt