Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Underfloor heating with less of the "under floor"

Tim S wrote:
Colin Wilson coughed up some electrons that declared:

Looks like the company is importing a Swedish, or at least Scandanavian
product. Claims you can tile straight onto it.

One claim that strikes me as taking the proverbial was...

"Whereas an electrical system can easily be damaged irreparably by a
lightning strike or power-surge, The Box system utilises a water pipe
to heat the floor, meaning it's safe from any such damage."

I haven't heard of any internal underfloor electric heating suffering
from a direct lightning strike personally, but i'm sure it's no more
likely than a muppet drilling fixings into a wet floor system.

Oh, and then there are the (minor) discrepancies, like...

"It has been established through careful testing that the PEX water
pipe used in the system could last, in use, for over 400 years."

"In special tests carried out by the Royal Institute of Technology,
Stockholm, it is estimated that our water pipe could last, in use, for
up to 500 years!"

I noticed that. But PEX is PEX, so I'm happy with that bit - other people
use it for UFH.

It's the ability of the panels not to deform and to remain stuck that I'm
most concerned about.

It's very hard finding people who've tried this stuff - Marmox is nigh on
impossible to verify and that's a more common product AFAICS...

Cheers

Tim

Maybe best bet is get a piece, put a tile on it, stand on it and have
someone measure it accurately. Any movement and forget it.

NT