Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default Receiving Freeview and cable signal

"AlanC" wrote in message
Hi,

I have TV supplied via cable (Virgin Media) which provides the basic
channels (BBC1&2, ITV and Channel4&5). A few years ago I went with
Sky (now Sky+) but decided to keep the cable supply to feed TV's in
the bedrooms.

My current setup is cable feed goes into the back of the Sky+ box.
The RF output from the Sky+ box is sent up into the loft where it goes
into an amplifier/distribution box which then sends it to 5 other
rooms. This gives me the channels supplied via cable plus whatever
channel is currently being decoded on the Sky+ box.

I have just purchased a new computer monitor which also has built in
Freeview receiver which I would like to make use of. I have tried
just connecting it to the RF feed, not really expecting it to work,
and it didnt. I was expecting to be able to receive the Cable
supplied channels and the Sky+ signal but that didnt work either. I
am not sure why though.

I beleive that the Freeview signals are not sent via Cable and to
receive these I will need an aerial but dont really want to have
seperate feeds.

Does anyone have any idea why the Sky+ RF isnt being picked up and
also how I could go about combining the output from an aerial with the
existing RF feed that includes the Cable channels and Sky+ channel? I
assume I cannot just feed it into the amplified/distribution box as
the frequencies will clash?

Interesting that you refer to the screen as a computer monitor
with Freeview, rather than a television with computer input,
which is usually the way they are marketed.
It sounds as if it does not have an analogue tuner, which is
a pity, because you won't be able to watch the RF output
from your Sky box on it.
If it has a SCART connector, or video and audio phono
inputs, I could suggest an alternative method, but it would
entail running at least two additional screened leads to the
Sky box and frankly, might be too messy.
I imagine the five analogue channels currently being carried
by the VM cable will cease at the same time as the off-air
analogue in your region which may be this year

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%