Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Laminate installation

Vic wrote in
:

Hi Group,

Got a question about installing laminate. I'll be installing glueless
laminate in a small bedroom which has a closet. I want to continue the
laminate into the closet. I intend to cut away the door jamb molding
and don't expect a problem with that and I understand that I may need
to cut away the locking lip from the laminate in the doorway and glue
those pieces together.

In this room the laminate will have to run parallel with the closet
door frame. Can anyone give me any tips as to how to make the work
around the door jamb as painless as possible? My alternative will be
to install a transition piece in the closet doorway even though the
same material will be in the closet.

Thanks,
Vic

Not sure I understand exactly what you are getting at but I've run it in
into doorways both length and width-wise.

Use a piece of scrap laminate. Lay it against where you want to undercut
the doorway trim and cut with a dovetail/jamb hand saw. This one is nice
in that the blade easily reverses on a center pivot for left or right
cutting.

http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/2128/212805_300.jpg

If pieces don't just fall out, just knock out with some tool you have.
Pcs of laminate can be locked in to what's already down then slid under
things by tapping on it's end. Butt a pc of scrap againt the end of the
pc your install and tap it as not to damage the finished pc. There is
also a laminate pull bar tool for for this.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...d5c3e7_400.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...7799/97751.gif

50% or more of all this stuff is just improvising.