Mike in Mystic

Default Electric Heater

I faced a similar dilemma last year. I bought a propane job site heater for
$125. It's 80,000 BTU and boy does it get my garage shop toasty. I'm not
sure if I would've went with an electric, as the price of that is pretty
steep. last winter here in CT I only used 2.5 20 lb. propane tanks, so I
think that's about $30 worth of fuel.

Mike

"Denver Woody" wrote in message
So after belly-aching about the different types of natural gas heating
options for my garage and getting several expensive bids from contractors,

was leaning towards installing a 45,000 Btu HotDawg heater myself. That
option was still going to cost around $750, as I would've had to pay some
friends to do the gas and electric (at fairly cheap labor rates). It was
recommended to me by a relative to consider just an electric unit, as the
natural gas prices here in Colorado are projected (by the gas company
itself) to increase about 75% this winter. Also, it was expected that the
electric unit heaters would be cheaper to purchase and install anyway. So

wound up ordering this unit...

http://www.marleymeh.com/Develop/pro...theat/QBRH.htm

at this site...

http://www.thermalinc.com/comfort/berko_brh.htm

I got the BRH-562 5600W/19000Btu unit that wound up costing $145

(including
shipping). My brother-in-law will install the 240V/30A line for only the
cost of parts (negligible). So I've saved a ton of money and will get a
220V outlet in my garage for the eventual tool that will need it, and I
expect it will be a long time before the difference in heating costs

between
electric and natural gas compensate for the purchase/installation savings.
Plus, it may just not be the case here in Colorado that natural gas is
cheaper to operate than electric...I don't know, I haven't done the math.

I do have one question (other than a request for a general analysis of
thoughts above), and that is what are the safety considerations of a
forced-air electric portable heater. The manual in the first link above
does mention about allowing it to operate in dusty environments, but I

have
no experience with this type of heater. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
DW