Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default need some Valenite help

sooo, how is this thing held in the lathe it was designed for? it looks to
me like it's a cartrige type thing, the units I have are sealed in valanite
pakages, so there is no "user modifications" per se - does it bolt to a CNC
thing of some kind? Facing stuff off seems like a useful capability, so I
guess I can use them

But, they don't seem to be in the catalog I can download - if I decode the
part number using the info on page numbered 69 in the version I can download
now,

MSKNR becomes:

M = multi-option (for holding insert) - both clamp and pin
S = square insert
L = holder style, 15 deg lead end cutting angle, no offset
N = Negative clearance
R = right hand

-10CA is harder to decode from that page
10 = Square shank 1/8 inch shank height (this doesn't match the part)
C ???
A 4 inch length (doesn't match, actual length is 1.75 inches)

since that doesn't make sense, I assume that CA means "Cartrige"but I can't
find any representation of cartriges - is there any hint in the printed
catalog?

by the way, the on line catalog page numbers don't start with an alpha
character, they are just plain numbers. Very confusing.

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Bill Noble writes:

MSKNR-10CA-3 the R of course means right handed, I was able to
decode some of the rest of the part number, but it isnt' at all
obvious why they have the little special set screw in the back nor the
oval hole in the middle. Do these go on boring bars? a special
"mother" holder? or what?/?/?

Page B44 in the Valenite June 2007 Turning Tools print catalog.

It's a 75 degree lead facing tool. That is, about all this is good for is
facing ends of stock in a lathe.

Takes square inserts in the SNxx style, seems like the 322 size.

Maybe the set screw in the back was added to plug a coolant passage
option?
This feature doesn't appear in the catalog, but neither does the "CA" in
the designation.