Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Manufacturing our own spectacles?

RCM only

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:55:40 -0800 (PST), the infamous
scrawled the following:

On Jan 4, 6:13 am, "Derek" wrote:
Manufacturing our own spectacles?

The price of lenses seems to have sky-rocketed
in recent years and it seems to me that we might
be well-paced to manufacture our own spectacles after
we are given a copy of the prescription.

We have cutting, grinding and polishing equipment
equipment, and given a supply of acetate sheet
could be well-placed to save ourselves a few shekels.

You might find this interesting:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2002/eyeglasses-1218.html

"Saul Griffith's vision may help millions of people see better.

The Media Lab graduate student has invented a machine to make low-cost
prescription eyeglass lenses for people in the developing world who
can't afford them now.

The portable device, about the size of a snare drum, has a
programmable mold that forms an acrylic lens in the exact shape
prescribed by an optometrist."

Have there been any updates on this article from 2002? Did he ever do
it?

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.