Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Honda Headscratching

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 12:05:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 5, 3:31*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ive been trying to get that '74 Honda XL 350 to run properly...with no
luck.

Pulled the carby tonight checked everything, Replaced idle jet seals,
made sure float was at proper height.

Timed it, adjusted valves, point gap..the whole encilada.

Will idle just fine *Coughs and runs ragged and will stall if adding
throtle. The idle screw seems to do very lttle if anything. * Bike seems
to not care if choke is on or off.

All passages were cleaned, all seals replaced...still doesnt run right.

I also found while settiig the points, that the camshaft where it comes
out the side of the engine, with the points cam on it, has about .05-.08
of wobble in it. * That explains some of the popping and inconsistant
idle..the damned thing is wobbling around, the point gap can be .015 one
moment, the next .125

Ive not gotten the manuals that I purchased on Ebay, so done know if
there is a bearing, a bushing or what not in there. *Ill have to pull
the head and check...sigh..I hope the camshaft is not blown out.

Anyone know what is used to keep the camshaft lined up? Bearings on both
ends or ???

Sigh...

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Gap somewhat OK, but have you gotten a timing light on it?

None of my timing lights works on 6vts.

Having that variable point gap has to be wrecking havoc with the dwell.

Is the centrifugal advance working?

No idea. It is free and appears to be in good shape.

If you do decide to pass on this bike, it does have enough of a
following you can find a willing victim for it fairly easily.

Dave

Ive been told that one of my strengths (and weaknesses) is that Im
Mission Oriented...ie stubborn as hell. I tend to pursue a problem
until it and I are a bloody mess, with me standing in victory above
it...chuckle.
I cant throw money at most things, so tend to have to find other
alternatives. I may put it aside for a bit, but I always come back
...sometimes many times, until Ive resolved it. Sometimes with
horrendous amounts of time expended. Shrug...charector flaw perhaps.
Dont know when to quit.

I might wind up selling this thing off to someone who needs a parts
bike, but it wont be for a while.