Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Underfloor heating with less of the "under floor"

Interesting...

As some may remember, I'm fixing a 1950's bungalow, with a solid concrete
uninsulated ground floor.[1]

I'd ruled out insulation, believing it had to go *under* the screed (or
slab). Turns out I was wrong, when I came across Marmox board - a
polystyrene insulating board faced with fibre glass/cement which can
*allegedly* be tiled straight onto (compressive load 30 tonnes/m2 according
to manufacturer).

I then ruled out UFH, believing electric was the only option in this case.

Ho hum: While I was looking to see if there was anything cheaper than
Marmox, came across this:

http://www.floorheater.co.uk/

"Easy panel" is the product of interest - 25mm polystyrene with grooves to
take 12mm or 16mm PEX pipe for wet underfloor heating. 30t/m2 compressive
load, 15t/m2 prolonged.

Looks like the company is importing a Swedish, or at least Scandanavian
product. Claims you can tile straight onto it. Had a response to an email
earlier to them, just waiting to see the cost of the insulated 25mm board
(non insulated products are priced on the website).

*If* it compares favourably to Marmox + cost of rads+vertical rads + fan
convectors (which I won't then need) I shall have to give it serious
consideration.

I'm not asking advice, because I'd be amazed if anyone here has actually
installed this stuff (please speak up if you have or know someone!) -
thought it might be of interest though...

If the quote looks reasonable, I'll ask for an offcut to look at and do a
test bond to the floor to see if it looks like it will actually handle the
job. Really don't want to be putting tiles down and taking them up again
before I'm dead, if I can help it ;-

Cheers

Tim

[1] Repeated my boss's measurements on Sunday: 1 thermometer 0.7m above
floor, another 0.05m above floor. 4C difference - and my feet were freezing
off through socks and shoes. Granted the building is only minimally heated
for frost protection (I brought the air upto 12C with half a central
heating system and a gas fire over 6 hours) - so the slab is extra cold,
but all the same... It's probably going to be a cold floor if I just tile
over it.