Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Solar-powered lights - recommendations please ??

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 13:28:06 -0800, meow2222 wrote:
I think all the points you raise are dealt ith fairly well on the
uk.d-i-y wiki. This would be a good place to look:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....ry:Low_Voltage

Heck, ta - I shall have a good browse through that.

I'd also suggest one other possibility. If you'll run the 12v system
off mains normally, then an iron carbon battery might be a good option
for you.

Not sure what I'll do as power input yet; solar's obviously a bit
unlikely (it doesn't make much sense to go solar - electricity - motor
- alternator - batteries - electricity

There's some scope for a wind turbine* here, and I'm on the look-out for a
diesel genny too (our water's from a private drilled well, so of course
the pump doesn't work if the power goes out!)

* I don't really like the things, and certainly wouldn't buy a commercial
one, but I think I can homebrew one and can get about 50' of height if I
put it on the barn roof, so that might be just enough to do something
vaguely useful.

Can't move for trees around here either, but I'm not sure if using them to
raise steam and generate power that way is particularly sensible (although
the wood's rather good for house heat!)

Btw theres no need to put lead acids outside.

Hmm, I thought car batteries were prone to venting (potentially) nasty
stuff - sealed lead-acids are another matter, of course.

cheers

Jules