Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Honda Headscratching

Gunner Asch wrote:
Ive been trying to get that '74 Honda XL 350 to run properly...with no
luck.

Pulled the carby tonight checked everything, Replaced idle jet seals,
made sure float was at proper height.

Are you SURE the carbs are originals and have the proper main jet? The
carbs off of a 400 are the same but have different mains. They would
cause rich running.

Timed it, adjusted valves, point gap..the whole encilada.

Will idle just fine Coughs and runs ragged and will stall if adding
throtle. The idle screw seems to do very lttle if anything. Bike seems
to not care if choke is on or off.

Wrong jet in there someplace.

All passages were cleaned, all seals replaced...still doesnt run right.

I also found while settiig the points, that the camshaft where it comes
out the side of the engine, with the points cam on it, has about .05-.08
of wobble in it. That explains some of the popping and inconsistant
idle..the damned thing is wobbling around, the point gap can be .015 one
moment, the next .125

Ive not gotten the manuals that I purchased on Ebay, so done know if
there is a bearing, a bushing or what not in there. Ill have to pull
the head and check...sigh..I hope the camshaft is not blown out.

Anyone know what is used to keep the camshaft lined up? Bearings on both
ends or ???

Plain aluminum on both ends. The usual repair is to grind the cam then
align bore the heads/saddles to fit bronze bearing inserts. You could
also do it the other way. Grind the bearing surfaces true then weld up
and grind down the head surface and the clamps as well.

Sigh...

Gunner

--
Steve W.