Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Buffing Hardwood Floors

rzaleski wrote:
On Jan 4, 2:27 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Jan 4, 10:38 am, rzaleski wrote:
Hi,

I just moved into a new house. The builder did not do a great job
with the floors. There looks like small bubbles on the varnish and
it doesn't seem smooth. If I rented a buffer and ran that over the
floor would that smooth it out? If so, how does the buffer
actually smooth it out, does it wear it down or apply heat?

Thanks,
Ryan

The builder owes you a decent floor. Talk to him about it. No reason
that you should have to finish his work for him. You may have to
apply a bit of legal pressure, so don't cave on this one. There may
be other shortcuts in the work, so be expecting other surprises.
Good luck.

Joe

OP- New, as in newly built, or just new to you? If newly built, I
agree, lean on the builder. If just new to you, sounds like a poor
refinish job. Very few builders site-finish floors on new
construction, other than on high-end custom homes. Major pain in the
ass, since it basically shuts the site down for several days to keep
the dust down. That, and factory finishes on hardwood floors (in my
experience, anyway) are much more durable. (Does anybody put
hardwood in less than high-end customs any more?) And as you found
out, getting a good finish is a lot harder than it looks.

I'd leave it alone, or call in a pro (or make the builder call one
in). Buffing alone will not do it- basically takes a sanding and a
new topcoat, and if there are major flaws close to the wood, they
will still be there. In most cases, the flaws are way more obvious
to you than to anyone else. After living there awhile, there will be
all sorts of new marks you make, and you won't even see them.

--
aem sends...

To answer some of the questions...

1. The house is newly built.
2. We moved in approximately 2 months ago.
3. The floors were finished on site.

When we were closing on the house, we complained about some scratches
on the varnish of the floor. The builder could not buff it out, so
they sanded it down and reapplied the varnish. This seemed like it
was rushed because this time there were bubbles. We were told we
could just buff them out and it wasn't a big deal.

If it was no big deal, why didn't *he* do it?
___________

Now, two months
later, we feel like it needs to get done.

I'm not sure how cooperative the builder will be, but I might try that
route.

You have a warranty on your house from the builder? The bubbles are more
than a handful? Enforce the warranty.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...