Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
Sylvia Else Sylvia Else is offline

Default Understanding a split-mode power supply.

Ok, as I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I managed to get the A/C
working again by replacing Q1 and the 8.2 ohm resistor.

Actually, I'd misread it, and when I looked more carefully, it realised
it was 6.2 ohm, as is the other one on the board with the same markings
(i.e., a not blown one). Nice standard value that.

So now I have to replace the resistor with a fusible, but sourcing a 6.2
ohm fusible is problematic.

The situation is not made any easier because if the switching transistor
fails by shorting out, then after it blows the fusible will have 340V
across it.

From the suppliers I now know about (thanks, Trevor), I can get a 0.5
watt 340V 4.7 ohm fusible. I propose to put it in series with a 1.5 ohm
1 watt non-fusible. My reasoning is that the 1.5 ohm resistor will have
only 1/3 the power dissipation, and will handle twice as much. Therefore
the 4.7 ohm will go open circuit before the 1.5 ohm could get hot enough
to be a problem.

Does this stand up?

Sylvia.