Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cytherian Cytherian is offline

Default Yamaha receiver RX-V992 RX-V995 won't stay on

I'm posting this issue about the Yamaha RX-V992 receiver, but the more
popular "big brother" model RX-V995 shares many of the same components
and design so solutions for the V995 may apply to the V992.

My RX-V992 won't stay on. I had it in storage in the original
box/packing materials in a temperature/humidity controlled environment
for a little over 2 years. The unit worked fine just before I packed
it up. I unboxed it just the other day and tried it--it powers on for
less than a second then cuts out. It seems like some kind of
auto-protection is kicking in. The unit has nothing attached--no
speakers, no other components.

I have heard of power supplies and relays going bad, but during usage
not during storage. I personally packed the unit away, so I know it
was not dropped or banged around. I'm hoping this might be a simple
issue that I could fix. Otherwise... well, these units sell for less
than $150 in good used working condition in classifies/auctions, so
bringing it to a repair shop is likely a waste of money.

Any constructive advice greatly appreciated! Thanks.

--
Cytherian