Tony Wood

Default Competent person?

In message , Wanderer
writes
One only has to read through some of the oh so basic questions that get
asked in this NG at times to know that there is a need for some form of
control over the enthusiastic but unknowing amateur. When I see
something like 'Can anyone recommend a good book to help me instal a new
twin plug', then it's fairly obvious to me that person should not be
doing that work.

Actually I'd consider that a little unfair - if someone is asking the
question then they are aware they have limitations and hence are asking
for more informed advice. If they are asking for a book reference, then
they are showing they are taking things seriously and looking for the
correct way to do things.

If, however, they are saying "I fitted a new twin plug yesterday and my
house caught fire when I switched the power on, why?", then I'd agree
with you!

T.