Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default Lee Valley Shows its True Colo(u)rs

On Jan 2, 5:05*pm, JohnD wrote:
In a heated debate a few years ago, Rob Lee defended the company's
charging of much higher prices to Canadians due to unforseen shifts in
CDN-US exchange rates.

He said:

"We can either float prices daily and make the exchange rate work
exactly -
or fix prices and tolerate exchange differences, until we can correct
them -
which for us, is annually."

"Thanks for the clear and correct explanation - yes - we set our rates
in
June, and hold for a year"

I guess they hold the prices for a year if the exchange rate movements
are favourable to Lee Valley. *They have announced increases for
Canadian customers starting Jan 5 to offset the weaker Canadian
dollar. Too bad they didn't lower prices when the Canadian dollar went
up. * Heads they win, tails you lose.

John

Houses around here that were selling for $300,000 a few months ago are
now offered at $225,000 with no takers.

Does that indicate anything to you?

Businesses have to change policies to meet fiscal conditions. The fact
that Robin Lee didn't ask your permission to make a business decision
seems to be really griping your ass. I suggest you thus don't do
business with them. Find what they sell elsewhere, at similar
reasonable prices with the same customer service. Good luck in that
search. You'll need it.