Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Honda Headscratching

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 05:33:22 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
Ive been trying to get that '74 Honda XL 350 to run properly...with no
luck.

Pulled the carby tonight checked everything, Replaced idle jet seals,
made sure float was at proper height.

Timed it, adjusted valves, point gap..the whole encilada.

Will idle just fine Coughs and runs ragged and will stall if adding
throtle. The idle screw seems to do very lttle if anything. Bike
seems to not care if choke is on or off.

All passages were cleaned, all seals replaced...still doesnt run
right.

I also found while settiig the points, that the camshaft where it
comes out the side of the engine, with the points cam on it, has
about .05-.08 of wobble in it. That explains some of the popping
and inconsistant idle..the damned thing is wobbling around, the point
gap can be .015 one moment, the next .125

Ive not gotten the manuals that I purchased on Ebay, so done know if
there is a bearing, a bushing or what not in there. Ill have to pull
the head and check...sigh..I hope the camshaft is not blown out.

Anyone know what is used to keep the camshaft lined up? Bearings on
both ends or ???

Sigh...

Gunner

If it's like the CB750's , that cam runs in bare aluminum in the head .
Not sure how they recondition them .

I rebuilt a 125 some years ago and the cam was loose in the head.
Bored it out and bronze bushed both sides. Lasted as long as I had the
bike.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)