Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cobalt Drill Bits

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 14:49:51 -0800 (PST), Ernst
wrote:

On Jan 4, 3:39*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

Carbide, on the other hand.....those do work miracles if used properly.
If not, they become nightmares ........

What would be the best approach when using carbide bits with a hand
drill motor? One other thing: Ever used a diamond-coated bit? A
long, long time ago when I was a Navy jet mech, we had to drill out
some super-hard fasteners on an N1 case. If memory serves, someone
went to dental and got some "diamond dental bits". Whatever they
were, they worked pretty well.

Ernst

Carbide in a hand drill tends to get you a lot of busted drill bits.
They dont take sideways bending, something very hard not to do when
runnng a hand drill.

I can, after years of practice, not bust 1/8 and up, if Im very very
careful. But I generally stick carbide in a drill press.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""