Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cobalt Drill Bits

Since diamond would vaporize or dissolve into the metal it would be
best to use another super hard stone that wasn't pure carbon.

MSCdirect sells carbide drills. I used one to drill a hole into a
High speed steel 1/4" square metal turning steel. Normally one would
grind a shape and then cut steel with it. I drilled a hole and ground
off the front - now a U and a form tool.

It was red hot and cut through nicely.

Martin

Michael Koblic wrote:
Ernst wrote:
On Jan 4, 3:39 pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

Carbide, on the other hand.....those do work miracles if used
properly. If not, they become nightmares ........

What would be the best approach when using carbide bits with a hand
drill motor? One other thing: Ever used a diamond-coated bit? A
long, long time ago when I was a Navy jet mech, we had to drill out
some super-hard fasteners on an N1 case. If memory serves, someone
went to dental and got some "diamond dental bits". Whatever they
were, they worked pretty well.

FWIW:
I have used diamond coated bits in my Dremel to drill stones. I had bits
from two sources: One from Calgary which were awful and one from Hong Kong
which were fine. I built a baffle of plasticine around the prospective hole
and poured water in it and drilled the hole underwater with some success.

I tried the same thing only once with steel: Removal of a broken 6-32 tap.
Success was limited...