Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

Default Understanding a split-mode power supply.

"Sylvia Else"
"No legg to stand on "

** Jesus Christ -

get ****ing real you asinine ****ing WOG ****** !!

The WHOLE damn AC unit is metal encased, installed & MAINS earthed
!!!!

My test repair with a non-fusible resistor and an NPN transistor from my
stock seems to have worked (rather to my surprise), so I'll have to source
a fusible resistor now.

** WES Components in Ashfield have them.

Code: " 1F8.2 " for 24 cents each.

I'll take your comment about a hi-pot on board, though in fact I've only
worked on the high voltage side of the system - the transformer hasn't
been touched. Still, I suppose insulation breakdown in the transformer
could be implicated in the original failure.

** Ignore "legg" - he is an ignorant ****.

There is no such industry practice as he alludes to in the repair of SMPSs
incorporated inside products.

Where the PSU is a module and plenty of stock is available at LOW cost to a
repair organisation - of course they prefer to just replace it, no matter
what the fault. Any excuse in the book is then dragged out to justify that.

Where such replacement is NOT possible or would be uneconomic - it get
repaired just like you have done.

BTW:

What does "legg" have to say about the way your SMPS was installed in the
outside unit of an air-con with no protection against water ingress,
condensation or invasion by any and all insect and rodent life ?

What does that do for the " safety isolation " angle - eh ???

Big joke.

...... Phil