Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
Sylvia Else Sylvia Else is offline

Default Understanding a split-mode power supply.

Phil Allison wrote:
"No legg to stand on "

This assembly was designed to fail in a safe manner - no fire,
explosion or shock hazard was intended to result from a single fault
resulting in the fusing of the emitter resistor. However, this does
not mean that the repaired unit will meet the same standards. The
events that occurred may have affected the safety isolation of
magnetic isolators in such a way that a second similar event may not
be as benign.

** Jesus Christ -

get ****ing real you asinine ****ing WOG ****** !!

The WHOLE damn AC unit is metal encased, installed & MAINS earthed
!!!!

Leaving aside the abuse, I confess this was my sentiment as well. And
not only that, neither the outside nor inside units even get touched in
the normal way of things.

The entire board could go up in flames, if it were inflammable, and
still cause nothing more than a bad smell. Since it's outside even the
resulting fumes wouldn't be a threat.

Sylvia.