Posted to sci.electronics.repair
joesmith joesmith is offline

Default IP camera repair - "on board" battery vs 'wallwart' power supply& ability to 'take' settings/reset

On Jan 4, 10:40*am, dave wrote:
I have two 'old' IP ('network') cameras, neither of which seems to be
able to 'take and hold' a reset to factory defaults. I followed the
procedure outlined in their owners manual. interestingly, both cameras
(an axis 2100, and an axis 2120) have an on-board battery (CR2032 3
volt), which their respective manuals -don't- mention (anywhere). matter
of fact, not only are the batteries unmentioned, but they give no
instruction on how to open their cases (which was neccessary to discover
they HAD batteries).

I used the the 'wallwart' power supply to reset (or 'try to reset') both
cameras back to their factory defaults. after following the reset
procedures to the letter, the cameras should have (supposedly) their IP
addresses reset (back to their defaults) but I can't "find" the cameras,
no matter what I try. so, I'm clutching at straws here...

I realize the 'common sense' answer to the following question, but I'd
like to hear your opinion:

let's say my onboard battery is stone dead (which I expect they are),
but I want to reset my camera back to its original factory defaults,
following the recommended procedure. if I follow the recommended
procedure while never UNplugging the camera from its "wall wart" power
supply, shouldn't the camera "return to" it's original default IP
address and hold that default IP address *ASSUMING* I've never unplugged
the wall power supply adapter from the camera?

or, put another way: is a "known good" on-board CR2032 battery REQUIRED
for any reason in order to MAKE the camera reset? I realize a good
on-board battery is required to *maintain* the new (or "returned to
default") settings once the camera is unplugged from its wall-wart power
supply, even for a moment, but that's *not* the question...

thanks guys,

toolie dave

ps- a more detailed discussion of the procedures I've tried can be found
he

http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/...post-7914.html
can't assign an IP. axis cameras 'unseen' by XP & axis a - IP Camera Forum

good luck
j.