Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default jointer decision

"Norvin" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"CC" wrote in message
Opinions needed on first jointer purchase, I want to build some
furniture,
china cabinet, build in book cases, possibly a bed,. some night stands,
things on that order,

I'm going to look at a JET 708457DXK JJ-6CSDX 6-Inch for $550

http://www.amazon.com/708457DXK-JJ-6...pr_product_top

and also a Craftsman Professional 6 1/8" jointer
1/2" rabbiting capacity with a 46" cast Iron table model # 152.217060
for $300 about 4 years old.

I don't have a link to this.
Both are said to be in like new condition.

Is the difference between the Jet and the Craftsman worth
the cost difference, I could use the price difference toward
the cost of buying a planer next ,so it does matter to my budget.
as I am retired now and on fixed income
Thanks for any thoughts
CC

I have a 6" Craftsman jointer. There I said it. I have had it for 25
years. I have been doing serious woodworking for 30+ years and decided
in the last couple of days that I don't need a jointer. You can probably
do with out one also. You should get a planer before you get a jointer
and with the right jigs you can flatten and straighten a board with a
table saw and a planer, that is what I do.

I agree with Leon that you can get by without a jointer. My delta has been
sitting for three years now and have not had a need for one. If the
tablesaw is in tune with a good blade, you can do without. A planer is a
worthwhile investment.

LOL Maybe that's more of a comment on the Craftsman than on mechanized
jointing? I have a 6" Jet and hold the opposite opinion. The boards stick
together from the vacuum between their faces when they're stacked next to
each other on edge. My hat's off to you and your skills if you can do that
reliably without a jointer.

On a fixed income, though, I'll concede the point. You don't need that level
of precision for stuff that grows and shrinks with the seasons. Tell me more
about your jigs.