Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia[_3_] Jeff Wisnia[_3_] is offline

Default Higher flow solenoid for fridge water dispanser?

wrote:

On Jan 4, 12:55 pm, " wrote:

On Jan 4, 12:47 pm, wrote:

On Jan 3, 10:42 pm, " wrote:

was the fridge ever OK flow wise? Its likely just a bad solenoid
valve, I have replaced a few of them.

We are just now connecting it, however the fridge is 1 year old. I
checked the solenoid and there is no obstruction and it is working
OK. With its 1/4 ports and our low water pressure (well system) it is
just too slow. I found some dishwasher solenoinds that have large
ports, I may retrofit one of those if I can't find a 'fridge' one.

thx

might also be the self piercing valve try turning off and on a couple
times. dirt in water can clog needle valve

No self-pierce valve used, I ran 1/2"pipe all the way with a full-flow
3/8" shutoff valve at the wall and 3/8 tubing to the fridge. Except
for the solenoid it gives great flow especially considering it is a
well system with RO!

It sure sounds like you've narrowed the problem down to the restriction
of the solenoid valve correctly.

Could you maybe just adapt your supply line to the "hose thread" inlet
fitting on a washing machine valve assembly? They have 120 volt coils.

Those valves can be had pretty cheap, or even cost nada if you pinch one
off a junked machine.

Like this one on eBay:

http://tinyurl.com/787q4s

Plus, You'll have a spare valve sitting right next to the one in use, or
you could plumb your supply to BOTH inlets and get half the restriction
of one side. G

I using just one half of the valve assembly you might have to cap off
the water inlet on the other half, just to play it safe.

Good Luck,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia