Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell[_2_] SteveBell[_2_] is offline

Default Amateur-built homes faling down

When my wife was building houses they had two "habitat" homes the
national builder was sponsoring. The typical procedure was to have a
weekend with volunteers in there on TV, then most of the next week was
taken up by pro's fixing or simply ripping out and replacing all the
volunteer work. The real inspections took place after that (even if
they did have an inspector on TV talking about how great a job
"habitat" was doing).
Most of the value of the habitat program is in the amount of
professional labor and the materials that get donated. The volunteer
input is largely just for publicity. In a union state you will need a
paid journeyman shadowing every volunteer anyway.

As a crew chief for Habitat in my area, I see a good bit of work that
has to be redone. Our motto is, "We do it right the last time."

I'm supposed to train and supervise several groups of volunteers at the
job site. For example, I'll get some kids started painting siding on
racks in the back yard, a few people putting up siding, and some more
installing sub-fascia. My job is to constantly inspect their work to
make sure it's done right. If it's wrong, it's my fault, not the
volunteers'.

On my last house, a crew of men was putting up Hardi lap siding. They
had been told to leave no more than 1/8" gap at the ends. When I
checked, the first two rows looked OK, but I made them re-do the third,
because it had too big a gap on one end. When I came back again, I was
amazed how quickly they finished the wall. Then I figured out they were
fast because, though the right end looked great, the left end had gaps
I could put my thumb in. They had to tear it all off and do it over.

We do it right the last time.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement