Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

Default Amateur-built homes faling down

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:20:29 -0500, Norminn wrote:

RLM wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 08:06:34 -0800, evodawg wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message

I have participated in more than one "Parade of Homes" or
"Builder/Remodeler Showcase" type of projects over the years.

Way to many people working too closely together to try and meet some
unrealistic deadline. I have installed drapery hardware over wall paper
that had only been on the wall for a literal minute. Witnessed so many
shortcuts being taken by others because of the need for speed.

My advice is to Never Ever buy one of those homes.

Your drapery hardware may have been holding the paper in place.

I can see where having a good plan and experienced people you can get
certain things done very fast. If you sweat a joint, it is only seconds
and
it is as set as it well ever be. Drywall mud, concrete, paint, tile
adhesives all take a little time to cure or set. A 3500 sq. ft. house in
a week is too fast for me.

I wonder how well set the concrete is on the foundations and basement walls
that have been pored? Do they have an onsite inspector, geez it takes me a
couple of days to get one out to look at my work.

Watched a house that was being built just around the corner in a gated
community. They used concrete block, had all the re-bar in place, and set
before continuing with more concrete block layers and more re-bar. House
was built next to the gate to be a showcase model home. Put the roof
trusses in place and decked for shingles. This took weeks to achieve.

One day they tore the house down to the ground. Inspectors found out
that they had used reclaimed water that is available in the neighborhood in
the mortar. Not a block was able to be salvaged. Trusses and decking in
the dumpster. Licensed builder. Non-Native masons and laborers.

Good grief! If reclaimed is good enough for watering the yard, it
should be okay for mortar. Where
was this?

Pinellas County Florida

Broke my heart, I could have used some of that plywood in the dumpster to
make hurricane shutters for my house at the time with permission to
salvage it from the dumpster. Foreman was there while I worked and locked
the gate to protect the construction site from copper miners that were
notorious as air conditioner thieves at the time.