Posted to rec.woodworking
Norvin[_2_] Norvin[_2_] is offline

Default jointer decision

Leon wrote:
"CC" wrote in message
Opinions needed on first jointer purchase, I want to build some furniture,
china cabinet, build in book cases, possibly a bed,. some night stands,
things on that order,

I'm going to look at a JET 708457DXK JJ-6CSDX 6-Inch for $550

http://www.amazon.com/708457DXK-JJ-6...pr_product_top

and also a Craftsman Professional 6 1/8" jointer
1/2" rabbiting capacity with a 46" cast Iron table model # 152.217060
for $300 about 4 years old.

I don't have a link to this.
Both are said to be in like new condition.

Is the difference between the Jet and the Craftsman worth
the cost difference, I could use the price difference toward
the cost of buying a planer next ,so it does matter to my budget.
as I am retired now and on fixed income
Thanks for any thoughts
CC

I have a 6" Craftsman jointer. There I said it. I have had it for 25
years. I have been doing serious woodworking for 30+ years and decided in
the last couple of days that I don't need a jointer. You can probably do
with out one also. You should get a planer before you get a jointer and
with the right jigs you can flatten and straighten a board with a table saw
and a planer, that is what I do.

I agree with Leon that you can get by without a jointer. My delta has been
sitting for three years now and have not had a need for one. If the
tablesaw is in tune with a good blade, you can do without. A planer is a
worthwhile investment.