Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Cobalt Drill Bits

Ernst wrote:
On Jan 4, 3:39 pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

Carbide, on the other hand.....those do work miracles if used
properly. If not, they become nightmares ........

What would be the best approach when using carbide bits with a hand
drill motor? One other thing: Ever used a diamond-coated bit? A
long, long time ago when I was a Navy jet mech, we had to drill out
some super-hard fasteners on an N1 case. If memory serves, someone
went to dental and got some "diamond dental bits". Whatever they
were, they worked pretty well.

FWIW:
I have used diamond coated bits in my Dremel to drill stones. I had bits
from two sources: One from Calgary which were awful and one from Hong Kong
which were fine. I built a baffle of plasticine around the prospective hole
and poured water in it and drilled the hole underwater with some success.

I tried the same thing only once with steel: Removal of a broken 6-32 tap.
Success was limited...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC