Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default lathe buying advice

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 13:45:03 +0000, KC wrote:

rasberry.... i'm a turner in Calgary and have been turning for a number
of years now....started with an old coronet late...went to a union
jubillee full size...sold that...got a jet...and now own a General
25-200.

....this 200 machine turns as well as anything I have
worked on...if you get hooked you're going to want to upgrade sooner
rather than later....check it out and happy shavings to you!!!!

Ken

I also have the 200 - you forgot to mention the swivel head and the
outboard 18" swing. It's a great lathe.

But General has had some problems with the speed control circuitry. My
first one didn't work out of the box, the second one lasted for a year.
I'm now on the 3rd and keeping my fingers crossed.

But General is very good about service and is now offering a limited
lifetime waranty. So if you're willing to take a chance on an occasional
outage, it's still a great lathe.

--
It's turtles, all the way down